2012 Audio Loudness Management Seminars Series,
Hosted by ATSC and SBE
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
9:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
1000 Techwood Drive NW Atlanta, GA 30318
ATSC or SBE Member: $95.00/per person
Nonmember: $150.00/per person
* Online registration is now open *
8:30 AM - Registration
9:00 AM- Loudness Background - Pat Wadell, Harmonic
- Audio complexity
- The digital transition’s (unintended) consequences
Enter H.R. 1084, the CALM Act
ATSC S6-3 highlights:
The USC Summit
The LKFS tests
- What’s in A/85?
- Considering an update to BS.1770?
- Regulatory process summary
- December 2012: FCC calmly enforces CALM.
Measurement & Monitoring - Steve Lyman, Dolby Labs
- ITU-R BS.1770 algorithm
- Measuring content
Loudness and the monitoring environment
Lock down the monitor pot
Mix with your ears, proof with the meter
TV Stations - Jim Starzynski, NBC Universal
- Actions required by your station
- DTV’s audio loudness problem
- NTSC analog audio vs. ATSC digital audio
- Establish target loudness
- DTV loudness compliance practices
- NBC-U network and DTV station loudness theory of operation
- Optimum DTV station loudness experience
Noon - Lunch
Content Creation - Tim Carroll, Linear Acoustic; and Doc Goldstein, NBC Universal
- Loudness vs. dynamic range
Increased loudness via compression is NOT better in an LKFS world
Increased dynamic range IS better in an LKFS world
- Short term and infinite metering
What to use where and why
- Numeric and histogram readings
The “loudness speedometer” idea
- Checking in a remote
Levels vs. loudness
- News, sports, entertainment production
Simple workflow-friendly tricks for controlling image and protecting dialogue
- Promotional material and advertisements
What happens when trying to “game” the system
- Optimizing the mix for the infrastructure of the content recipient
- The comfort zone
MVPDs - Jerry Parkins, Comcast Cable
- What’s required of the MVPD for CALM
- An overview of a large MVPD’s infrastructure
- A systematic approach to loudness measurement
Procedures in the field:
MVPD interacting with content supplier
MVPD interacting with subscriber
Making and Documenting Measurements.
Consumer Experiences - Steve Silva, Fox
- Explaining the DTV AC-3 distribution system
The real-time downmix
- How Dialnorm works in your decoder
- How DRC works in:
A TV with integrated decoder
Default RF mode
Choose your range
- Using an LM-100 to monitor ATSC audio in a consumer system
Panel Discussion: "Are We All CALM Now?"
4:30 PM - Closing Remarks
Within three or more business days prior to the day of the seminar, attendees will receive a full refund. Refunds are not provided for cancellations or absences which occur less than three business days of the seminar. Substitutions are welcome at any time.
Sponsorships for the event are available. Please contact
for details and benefits!
with any questions.